Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Text Post Shared Immediately Has Text Cut Off

Hi,

I installed the WP plugin yesterday and like what I see so far. In trying to learn the system by doing, I have tried to create and share a text post to our Facebook Page, Twitter profile and LinkedIn profile.

The post is 599 characters, including spaces. (I did expect to encounter the Twitter issue a post greater than 288 characters, and see how Blog2Social creates a thread. However, that's not the issue at hand here.)

The post gets cut off at the same exact place on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. I did try it a few times and the full text did get posted correctly on LinkedIn on one time

The text gets cut off at precisely 255 characters (not including the spaces). I found that somewhat coincidental, since 255 is obviously 2^8.

For thoroughness, here is the text that I tried to share:

Weekends are my secret weapon...

If I want to catch up on work, and even work when my competitors are not, the weekend is when I do it.

If I want to catch up on rest so that I am emotionally, mentally and physically recharged, the weekend is when I do it.

If I want to catch up on domestic work because I worked so much in the office the past week, the weekend is when I do it.

The point is, make your #weekends as important as your weekdays.

Don't waste them away.

You can relax, but do not waste them.

Do. Not. Waste. Them.

#mentalhealth #productivity #worklifebalance

Here is what it has been posting (with the one exception for LinkedIn, where it worked properly.)

Weekends are my secret weapon...
    If I want to catch up on work, and even work when my competitors are not, the weekend is when I do it.
    If I want to catch up on rest so that I am emotionally, mentally and physically recharged, the weekend is when I do it.
    If​

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also note that I am still using the Business Free Trial, so I don't know if there is any limitation concerning post size.

I also checked the Troubleshooting-Tool, and everything is up to date on that list.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
    Scott

Hello Scott,

Thank you so much for reaching out and thanks for describing your request.
    Would you please be so kind as to check your configured “character amount” for each network in the Blog2Social post templates?

The following step-by-step guide will show you how to configure and work with post templates in Blog2Social:
    How to use post templates for social media posts?

You can adapt your preferred character limit by clicking on the up/down arrows for each network individually.

You can define the character limit for the variables “Excerpt” and “Content” individually in Blog2Social.
    Your text will be shortened after the last comma, period, or space character within your character limit.

Please be so kind as to retry sharing a new WordPress post afterward and feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions about Blog2Social.
    I will gladly support you further.

Best regards
    Alexander

Comment

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your reply. (Please note that I created a reply shortly before this, but deleted it because I made some mistakes in my response. I hope there was no confusion.)

I made the changes to the character limit in the Post Templates and it appears as though it solved the issue. So I believe this is resolved. However...

While we are on the topic of character limits, may I ask/mention a few things concerning Twitter?

1. I noticed when creating a text post that the preview for Twitter will automatically truncate the post to fit into one tweet. However, when I go and paste the post text into that Twitter preview and overwrite the truncated text, it does set up a thread. I'm not sure if the Twitter preview should be setting up the thread automatically, without the user having to copy the full text into the Twitter preview. Just thought that I'd mention that, if it is a small enhancement that has to be made in the future, or if I'm doing something wrong.

2. As most of us know, Twitter recently allows for larger tweets if the user has the Twitter Blue. (I think it is 4000 characters.) If I sign up for Twitter blue, would your system currently know that we can post 4000 characters, or will it still create a thread based on the 280 character tweet size?

3. And when your system sets up the thread, it appears as though it does that by creating a new thread comment every time it encounters a carriage return. This will work okay, but I'm wondering if there are any settings where we can tell your plugin how to handling the creation of threads. The reason that I say this is that, as an example, there could be three sentences with a space between each so that it is easier for the user to read, but still be below the 280 character limit. So it would be nice to have those three sentences in one tweet, instead of three tweets. I hope that makes sense. Just thought that I'd ask.

Sincerely,
      Scott

Comment

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your reply and this feedback.

Please note that a sentence that has for example 300 characters (that would exceed the usual post length of 280 for Twitter) will be shortened automatically in Blog2Social at the last “.” for example in order to prevent that the sentence is cut off in the middle of the sentence.

This is an automatic feature that is automatically applied to your post content (for your social media post on Twitter) and does not require any manual adjustments.

Furthermore:

I added your suggestion to implement a check for the blue verification tag in Blog2Social for Twitter profiles to be able to lift the maximum character amount to the requested amount if possible, to our list for possible future developments.

Rest assured, if and when the requested feature could be implemented into Blog2Social we will gladly contact you as soon as possible.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions about Blog2Social in the meantime.

Best regards
        Alexander

Comment

Hi Alexander,

I have one more related question concerning this post.

Since it looks like there will be more and more people who will subscribe to Twitter Blue, there will be people who want to create the longer posts of up to 4000 characters.

I am a developer, so I know you don't want to promise a new feature until you are ready. However, do you think that you have an idea of approximately how long until you think you would add this feature?

Sincerely,
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by idtelectronics View Post
            Hi Alexander,

I have one more related question concerning this post.

Since it looks like there will be more and more people who will subscribe to Twitter Blue, there will be people who want to create the longer posts of up to 4000 characters.

I am a developer, so I know you don't want to promise a new feature until you are ready. However, do you think that you have an idea of approximately how long until you think you would add this feature?

Sincerely,
            Scott

Hello Scott,

Thank you so much for reaching out and thanks for your interest in Blog2Social.

Unfortunately I am unable to give you an estimate on how long this development will take if it can be included into Blog2Social.
            Please rest assured that we will contact you as soon as possible if and when the requested feature can be implemented into Blog2Social.

As mentioned I added your suggestion to our development list for possible future developments, so the IT experts of Blog2Social can review this case and check the possible options to interact with the official Twitter API interface regarding your suggestion considering increasing the maximum amount of characters for verified Twitter profiles via a dynamic checking process.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions about Blgo2Social. I will gladly support you further.

Best regards
            Alexander

Comment

Working...
            X