520 Error i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 520 Error i

I have begun getting this (quote below) in my title line when I try to post a published blog. It does not show up if I share a scheduled post. The featured image does not show up either. The post still works but the title of the post is the line below and the featured image does not transmit.

"www.bcworldview.org | 520: Web server is returning an unknown error"

Can you provide insight into what is going on? Thanks.
    Last edited by Jeff HIlles; 02-01-2022, 04:55 PM.

Hello Jeff,

Thank you so much for reaching out and thanks for describing your request
    Would you please be so kind as to answer a few short questions so we could look further into this for you?

Are you currently facing a "520: Web server is returning an unknown error" error notification in your Open Graph generated preview?
    Or are also facing an issue while changing the social media post image?

Please be so kind as to attach a screenshot showing the individual situation in your WordPress environment and attach a link to the post that you wanted to share.
    The behavior you have described seems to be caused by WordPress optimization/security plugins that are blocking and limiting the Blog2Social plugin.

Please make sure that there are no external WordPress optimization/security plugin settings that are limiting the Blog2Social plugin requests that are performed in the WordPress environment.

If possible, please proceed to disable these settings or plugins in your environment in order to be able to use Blog2Social as intended.

Please note that this behavior is only environment related and is not occurring for more than 70.000 Blog2Social users and I am confident that it will work for you too as soon as you have adjusted these points as recommended.

If the recommended solutions did not resolve your request as expected, please provide us with the generated/downloaded troubleshooting-tool .txt Log file so we could look further into this for you.

You will find the Troubleshooting-Tool by following this path:
    Your WordPress installation -> Blog2Social -> Help & Support -> Troubleshooting-Tool

Please make sure to provide us these details via a private message in the community in order to protect your privacy.

Thank you for your understanding.
    I am looking forward to your reply.

Best regards
    Alexander

Comment

Sorry for delay in response. Got frustrated. To answer your questions....

1 Open Graph Generated Preview is where it is showing up and the picture field is empty but the post content is visible. This issue also shows up in Twitter (the only two networks I am currently connected to.
      2. When you say disable "optimization/security plugins" you are asking a lot. I suspect most of your 70k other users are using WordFence, Cloudflare and, for me, SiteGround Optimizations. Can you be more specific on what you are asking for please?
      3. Attached is a screen shot. Would the best thing be for you to get access to the site to see the real issue?
      Attached Files

Comment

Alexander, I went ahead and disabled both SiteGround Optimizer and WordFence, logged off and back on and got the same results.

Comment

So... I ran the Troubleshooting Tool and attached is the txt file. Noting the bottom on Wordfence "resolve conflict" I again disabled Wordfense, cleared the Siteground Cache and ran the Troubleshooting tool again, with the same result.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Blog2Social Support; 02-10-2022, 09:45 AM. Reason: Removed in order to protect your privacy

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff HIlles View Post
            So... I ran the Troubleshooting Tool and attached is the txt file. Noting the bottom on Wordfence "resolve conflict" I again disabled Wordfense, cleared the Siteground Cache and ran the Troubleshooting tool again, with the same result.
            Hello Jeff,

Thank you so much for your reply and thanks for these additional details.

Yes, it would be awesome if you could send us a temporary guest account with admin rights for your WordPress website, if you would like us to check this case further.
            We will, of course, treat your information as confidential. Rest assured, we will use this data for tests only.

You can delete the account as soon as our tests are complete.
            Please be so kind as to include the login URL, login name and password. Make sure to provide us with these details via a private message in the community in order to protect your privacy.

I removed the log file again in order to protect your privacy as well.

Thank you for your understanding and your effort.

Best regards
            Alexander

Comment

Just an fyi... the problem showed up on a different browser and both my MacBook Pro and iPad.

Comment

Alexander.. sorry for being unsure but.... is the small upper right checkbox checked and the message turning yellow an indication of a private message?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff HIlles View Post
                  Alexander.. sorry for being unsure but.... is the small upper right checkbox checked and the message turning yellow an indication of a private message?

Hello Jeff,

Thank you so much for your reply and thanks for this feedback.

You can send us a private message by clicking on the small speech bubble next to the account in the Blog2Social Support Community, among other options.

For illustration, have a look at the following screenshot:

Or you can send us a private message by clicking on the name highlighted in green and clicking the "Private Message" button on the following page.

Best regards
                  Alexander

Comment

Alexander... any idea what the problem is? Thanks Jeff

Comment

Hello Jeff,

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

The IT experts at Blog2Social reviewed this case and provided me with the following information:
                      On the WordPress environment, the Wordfence Security plugin has been installed and activated. Presumably, the error that arises here is that scripts must be allowed to call requests.

If the firewall is blocking the request, make sure it can pass. If you can confirm that there is no security plugin or server-sided firewall block, then this issue may also be caused by Cloudflare and your configuration there.

Check out the following link for more information:
                      Cloudflare Error 520 is a server-side diagnostic message

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions about Blog2Social.

Best regards
                      Alexander

Comment

Alexander,

I put Cloudflare in Development mode and I deactivated WordFence (something I had done before we started this service request). The problem continued. Blog2Social worked fine for me until this year.... Obviously the application is of no continuing use to me in its present state. The suggestions your team are offering are too complex to research and resolve at my end. If your team is finished with trying to diagnose my problem then please return the unused portion of my subscription and I will find another application to work with. This is not ideal from my end as Blog2Social has been a perfect product for me. However, where we are right now is at a roadblock and I have to figure out where to go next.

Respectfully, Jeff
                        Last edited by Jeff HIlles; 02-16-2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Hello Jeff,

Thank you so much for your reply and this feedback.

You recently stated that "Blog2Social worked fine for me until this year". Therefore, it would be helpful to understand which plugins or services you recently activated/installed, and which changes you made in the external plugin configuration before you noticed this behavior in Blog2Social.

Regarding your firewall (Cloudflare) settings and your Wordfence questions:
                          Please ensure that your Firewall settings allow outgoing connections or include an exception or whitelist for Blog2Social if you are using one.

In general, you should make sure to avoid limiting the Blog2Social plugin with external WordPress optimization or security plugins that are active in your WordPress installation or set in your server environment.

Proper access is often blocked by installed security plugins or additional firewalls on the server-side as well.

Please be so kind as to try to whitelist your own server IP as well in order to allow automatic curl processes.
                          It appears that there are still some settings blocking the automatic processes.

You may also try to unblock our IPs:
                          Server location: Germany

IPv4: 176.28.35.48
                          IPv6: 2a01:488:42:1000:b01c:2330:2:7557

It should also be noted that your external configuration may prevent social media networks or other established connections from accessing your site to read the Open Graph parameters unless the mentioned settings are adjusted or deactivated.

Best regards
                          Alexander

Comment

Hello Jeff,

Thank you so much for your reply and thanks for this feedback.
                            Certainly, we can understand your concerns in relation to the necessary expertise to resolve the occurrence of the behavior (520 error code).

Are you also seeing this error notice when trying to share an already published post from your environment?

Please check this by following these steps:
                            Your WordPress installation -> Site & Blog Content -> Select a published post -> Click on Share on Social Media -> Check the shown post preview

Please be so kind as to try the following process, or reach out to your webmaster or hosting provider to perform these tasks for you:
                            1. Find your server IP address or ask your hosting provider/webmaster to provide you with this information.
                            2. Login to Couldflare and search for the section where you can whitelist IP addresses.
                            3. Whitelist your own server IP and the Blog2Social server IP (IPv4: 176.28.35.48) on Cloudflare.
                            4. Recheck the sharing preview in the “Create a social media post” function by sharing a link-post with your URL.
                            If this solution does not resolve the occurring behavior as expected, you could also reach out to the Cloudflare support team to check this behavior for you.

Please have a look at the following guide about the error notification and troubleshooting solutions:
                            https://community.cloudflare.com/t/c...wn-error/44205
                            https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en...rrors#520error

This guide also includes details which you should provide to the Cloudflare support team if it is required to contact them.

You can contact the Cloudflare support at:
                            https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en...cles/200172476

Feel free to let me know if the suggested solution solved your request, or let us know the Cloudflare support feedback regarding this case.

If they will be unable to find a suitable solution, you could also reach out to your hosting provider or your webmaster to temporary change your domain settings to your default settings, so your Domain is not routing your website data through Cloudflare in order for you to be able to further investigate the situation and re test the behavior.

Best regards
                            Alexander

Comment

Whitelisted both my and Blog2Social IPv4 on CloudFlare. No change... still the 520 error for Facebook and Twitter. I checked if I could send a FaceBook post directly from my post as you requested. The answer is yes, no problem. Finally, I went deeper into other Social Media accounts and Medium seems not to be effected. As I have said on every note to you, putting CloudFlare into development mode (which I assume takes it off line) makes no difference so continuing to play around with it seems a waste of time. However, at your request, Monday I will contact Siteground and have THEM take me off line from Cloudflare. When I do that and the problem with Blog2Social remains, I will stay off CloudFlare and be back to you again, continuing to ask why. You can then go back into my site and verify that Blog2Social still doesn't work, disconnected from Cloudflare. Respectfully Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X