Scheduled autopost is using numeric URL rather than permalink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduled autopost is using numeric URL rather than permalink

When autoposting directly from the editing interface or when new posts which are scheduled to publish later go out, B2S is pulling the numeric post number from WP rather than the permalink. For instance, this FB autopost (https://www.facebook.com/JohnHenryUS...67961715331682) which went out automatically when the article went live, returns this link:

It should return:

https://johnhenry.us/blog/2022/03/05...utm_id=pg-jhus (don't know where the no_cache tag is coming from)

Can we resolve this please as it can potentially lead to broken links? e.g. if I have to rebuild my site and import all the old content, the post numbers will change and this URL will send people either to the wrong place or to a 404 page. Thanks.

Also I'm not sure why my account here says I'm a "free" subscriber. I pay monthly and am currently paid through the first of next month. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnHenryUS View Post
      When autoposting directly from the editing interface or when new posts which are scheduled to publish later go out, B2S is pulling the numeric post number from WP rather than the permalink. For instance, this FB autopost (https://www.facebook.com/JohnHenryUS...67961715331682) which went out automatically when the article went live, returns this link:

It should return:

https://johnhenry.us/blog/2022/03/05...utm_id=pg-jhus (don't know where the no_cache tag is coming from)

Can we resolve this please as it can potentially lead to broken links? e.g. if I have to rebuild my site and import all the old content, the post numbers will change and this URL will send people either to the wrong place or to a 404 page. Thanks.
      Hello John,

Thank you so much for reaching out and thanks for describing your request.

Rest assured, your account is running on the Business license of Blog2Social. The support community only fetches the license state/type during the signup and does not reflect changes that could be performed afterward.

Regarding your primary request:
      If you share or schedule and share a post on social media that is still unpublished in your WordPress environment the only reliable link that is available for Blog2Social is the automatically generated permalink based on characters.

This behavior is no bug or issue. If a WordPress post has not been published on your website/blog, WordPress assigns a unique technical URL (internal ID) with the ending “?p=012345” as a link to your post.

The following step-by-step guide will show you how to change the permalink in the post preview for scheduled social media posts:
      How can I change the permalink in the post preview for scheduled social media posts?

This is, because the final permalink (or SEO-slug) of your post can still be edited before the time of publishing within your WordPress environment and thus will be finally created and related to this technical URL at the time of publishing on your WordPress site/your WordPress blog.

This technical post (internal ID-based) URL will always direct to your post, independently of any permalink/url-slug you choose for your post.

If you schedule your social media posts before the WordPress post has been published on your website, the Blog2Social plugin can only assign the available technical WP URL to your social media posts, as this is the only reliable link at this point.

As soon as your WordPress post is published, Blog2Social will automatically access the permalink (friendly URL) of your post. All social media posts that you schedule after your WordPress post is published, will be automatically shared with the final permalink.

However, if you have decided on a final slug for your post you can edit the permalink URL by entering this URL in the URL field.

Please note: If you make any changes to the permalink in your original post afterwards before the time of publishing, it is important to also make these changes in your scheduled social media post to ensure your posts can be reached via this permalink.

Please be so kind as to recheck this case and the mentioned behavior with the additional information provided, and feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions about Blog2Social.

I will gladly support your further.

Best regards
      Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by Blog2Social Support View Post

(snip) Please be so kind as to recheck this case and the mentioned behavior with the additional information provided, and feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions about Blog2Social.

I will gladly support your further.

Best regards
        Alexander
        Thanks, Alexander! I did find a quick workaround by simply publishing first then sharing, but I'll take a look at that documentation and see if it provides any shorter solution than that. It's not a HUGE thing, just pesters my mild OCD a little. I do use a quality 301 management tool to ensure permalinks stay valid.

Comment

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply and thanks for this feedback.

Yes, your workaround is also a suitable solution to avoid sharing a technical permalink (ID-based) instead of sharing a URL with a specified URL name.

It is also possible to adjust the URL name as described in the above-mentioned FAQ article, but if you prefer to accomplish a fast process, you can stick to the process of publishing the content at first with the adjusted permalink.

As if you make any changes to the permalink in your original post afterwards before the time of publishing. It is important to also make these changes in your scheduled social media post to ensure your posts can be reached via this permalink, which could require a two-step process depending on how you work with Blog2Social.

Working with a 301 management tool is likely to work as intended by using preferably final permalinks which stay as adjusted.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions about Blog2Social.
          I will gladly support you further.

If you like Blog2Social and our support, we would greatly appreciate a 5-star rating on WordPress.org.

Link: https://wordpress.org/support/plugin...iews/?filter=5

Best regards
          Alexander

Comment

Working...
          X